Skip to Main Content
Do Not Show Again
Create a Website Account
- Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Website Sign In
How Do I
News Flash Home
The original item was published from 10/1/2017 10:51:35 AM to 1/1/2018 12:05:03 AM.
Posted on: October 1, 2017
[ARCHIVED] Hurricane Irma Update 14
Debris removal crews have been working in Tamarac since Tuesday, Sept. 12 – just 2 days after Hurricane Irma struck. The process is slow. Even though they’re working 7 days a week, 7:30 am – 7:30 pm, just a fraction of the 200,000 cubic yards of debris has been collected.
It’s important to keep a few things in mind:
- While we were fortunate in the limited amount of building damage, Irma blew down a significant number of trees. Collection takes time.
- Impacting the situation is the unprecedented demand for debris removal crews. Almost the entire state of Florida was affected by Irma. But crews are still working in Houston in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. And, there’s a new, dramatic need in Puerto Rico following Hurricane Maria. The reality is that crews are in short supply.
- We are clearing debris from the main roads first, and then working our way into neighborhoods. The City has been reaching out to homeowner associations for access into private communities. To speed up the process, please move your community’s debris as close to a public roadway as possible – without interfering with traffic.
- Regular bulk collection has been temporarily suspended for both single and multi-family homes.
It’s not pretty, but in time, the debris will be gone. The grass beneath it will again be green and Tamarac will once again look like the vibrant community we are. Realistically, it will take longer than anyone wants. We ask your patience as we continue to work to get everything cleared as quickly as possible.
Other News in What's New
Let's Make Our City Shine
Posted on: July 20, 2023
2023 Residential Assistance Program - Round 6
Posted on: March 24, 2023
Tamarac 2040 Comprehensive Plan
Posted on: February 8, 2023
Tamarac's 2022 Water Quality Report Is Now Available
Posted on: June 22, 2022
Broward Mobility Advancement Program Dashboard
Posted on: May 7, 2021
View the Results of Tamarac's 2021 Community Surveys Now!
Posted on: October 27, 2021
Business Impact Estimates
Vulnerable Population Registry
P&R Special Events
Code Red Registration
Flood Protection Information
Slideshow Left Arrow
Slideshow Right Arrow