News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/6/2017 5:13:00 PM to 9/6/2017 5:22:30 PM.
Posted on: September 6, 2017
[ARCHIVED] Hurricane Irma Update 2
As the City closely monitors and prepares for Hurricane Irma we want to share the following information with you:
- City offices are open today, and until further notice. However, if you are scheduled to attend a Parks and Recreation program on Thursday or Friday, please call the facility prior to arrival to confirm the activity will be held.
- Some of you have asked about shelter openings. As a reminder shelters are primarily intended for those who live in evacuation areas. While we are not in an evacuation zone, if you believe your home is not safe, you may go to a shelter. Please be aware that you must bring all essentials including food, water and medication. For information on general population, special needs and pet-friendly shelters call Broward County’s hotline at 311 or (954) 831-4000.
- The City will not be distributing sandbags as Tamarac is not a coastal community and tidal surges should not impact us.
- Canals have been lowered and we are working together with SFWMD. They will be lowered additionally as necessary.
- As of this writing, regular trash collection and bulk pick up will continue on the normal schedule through Friday. Do not put items out for pick up after Friday.
- To sign up to receive the City's CodeRED notifications, click here.
Here are some tips for hurricane preparations:
- Plan to have a seven day supply of food, water and prescription medicine for all household members, including your pets.
- Fill your car’s gas tank before the storm, and get cash. Gas pumps and ATMs won’t work if the power is out after a storm.
- Prepare a first aid kit.
- Ensure lanterns and flashlights are working and that you have a supply of batteries.
- Move all outdoor items that can become flying debris inside before the storm.
- Install your shutters well in advance of the storm as heavy winds can make installation difficult.
- If you’re unable to purchase water, fill containers with tap water for consumption.
- Fill bathtubs with water for bathing and household use unless you have small children.
- For more information on recommended supplies and preparations, visit http://www.broward.org/hurricane/Pages/Default.aspx.